Thursday, April 30, 2009

HCG Shot

Last night I took my HCG Shot to get me ready for my egg retrieval! After the HCG shot you have to wait 48 hours for the egg retrieval. Mine is scheduled for tomorrow at 8:30am. No food or drink after midnight tonight! I am a little nervous for it but I am mostly excited.

This is what happens during an Egg Retrieval:

An egg retrieval typically takes place under some form of sedation, so you will not feel any pain. A needle is attached to an internal ultrasound probe, which is inserted into the vagina. The doctor uses the ultrasound to see the ovaries and locate the ovarian follicles. The needle punctures each follicle, and a gentle suction is applied to remove the egg and fluid within the follicle. An embryologist then evaluates the fluid and finds the egg. Sperm and eggs are placed together to allow fertilization to occur.

I am hoping for at least 10 good eggs. The whole process usually take about 30 mins! Scary but necessary to have a baby!

1 comment:

Jamilyn said...

I am here to wish you LUCK!!